History of St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church

Extensive settlement in this area began after the end of the Texas Revolution in 1836.  The Legislature create Wood County in 1850, thus influencing further settlement.  The community of Sodom developed here by 1871, when the Reverend John Brenham founded the St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church in the home of Pinkney and Bettie Brooks.  Charter members were Mandy Hall, Mary Garrett, Ellis Lee, Willis Oliver and Bettie Brooks.
In 1873, the town was renamed Mineola and boasted two rail lines.  During that year, St. Paul Church members built their first sanctuary at the corner of Harris and Stone streets.  The church held early baptisms in a creek near present-day Wren Street, as the congregation continued to grow over the next decades.  In 1897, the present site was purchased and a new sanctuary was constructed. Later, under the leadership of the Rev. T. B. Johnson, who served the church from 1914 to 1941, the church remodeled its early                                           sanctuary.
The Rev. Johnson served as moderator of the East Texas Baptist Association, as did Rev. Lawrence W. Pryor, pastor from 1945 to 1949.  Rev. Pryor was also president of the Baptist Training Union Congress.  These men and other pastors, including the Rev. Charles C. Colquitt who served for more than 41 years, helped establish the congregation as a long-standing Mineola institution.  In 1958, during Rev. Colquitt’s pastorate, the sanctuary was replaced with a larger structure.  Other notable pastors following this period included the Reverends, W. McNealy, R. Lister, and W. Lawson. Numerous church leaders, who served in other capacities included deacons, deaconesses, junior deacons, trustees and many faithful members.
On May 13, 2006 under Rev. Lawson’s leadership, the church held a dedication service for placement of an official Texas Historical marker on the church campus. This was an important milestone, as the church holds the distinction of being the oldest church in the city.

On April 1, 2007, St. Paul installed Reverend Demethrius T. Boyd as Pastor, who came with a promise of “A New Beginning”.  Under his leadership, the church has experienced continuous growth and prosperity.

Under his leadership and guidance, various new and exciting ministries were implemented that are still flourishing today, i.e. Singles Ministry, Marriage Ministry, Youth Ministry, Celebrate Recovery, Outreach, Evangelism, Senior Saints, Music Ministry, and Community Support Ministry.

With God’s guidance and Pastor Boyd’s leadership and teaching, the congregation is on a greater spiritual level than ever before.

Today, St. Paul has come to be known as the community’s church that is on the move for Christ.  As we continue to grow and foster Christ centered relationships for all, it is our goal to inspire, serve, and fulfill the challenge to meet the needs of the entire community for the glory of God.

On June 7, 2009, after fervent prayer and bountiful blessings, a groundbreaking ceremony was held for the construction of a new worship center. On January 31, 2010 a dedication service welcomed in the new sanctuary.  It was a historical moment for St. Paul MBC and the entire city of Mineola.  Pastor Boyd honored all past leaders of St. Paul MBC and was joined in the ribbon-cutting by Sister Debra Lawson, wife of the late Pastor Willie Lawson.  The service included various denominations as well as city officials.  We look forward to many years of God’s favor in the new worship center.